Saturday, April 29, 2017

Adam Grant's Originals

Rarely am I inspired by a book or do I take as many notes than I was/did by experiencing Adam Grant's Originals. I bought it on a whim when I was looking for a book on management recommended by Dave Ramsey at our local Barnes and Noble. ( I can't tell you how long it had been since I was in a Barnes and Noble, thanks, Mr. Bezos) I decided I don't want to be a middle manager.  But I saw Adam's book next to it and the subtitle, "how non-conformists move the world" spoke immediately to where I am in my life. So I laid down the best $27 (plus tax) of my life.

Adam's book studies and quantifies how people like Steve Jobs, Jerry Seinfeld, Beethoven and others move the world and he does so not just from observing but from analysis and science and how we can learn from their successes and defeats.

I'll skip right to the meat. Here are the notes I took. If you want more explanation, just go buy the book.

1. The key to excellent creativity is a large volume of work. pg. 35-36
Great originals were most excellent when they were the most prolific.
2. Balance risk pg.17
If you're taking risk in one part of your life balance that with security in another part.
3. The best predictor of success is other creative peers. pg. 44
Don't trust focus groups or people outside your genre, fine creative peers to speak into your work.
4. Over communicate the vision, especially if it's a new one. pg. 77
I call it the Kardashian rule.
5. Staying and fixing isn't necessarily better than exiting. pg. 90
Sometimes you just have to take your ball and go home.
6. Procrastination can be good. pg. 96
Amen, said all the teenagers out there.
7. Settlers succeed more often than pioneers. pg. 108
Unfortunately, I still want to be a pioneer.
8. Don't be so extreme you splinter your group. pg 118
Of course, this rule apparently doesn't apply to recent presidential elections.
9. Values over rules for parenting creative kids pg. 165
Not just what not to do, but why not to do it.
10. Foster dissension rather than seek consensus. pg. 176
Keep your friends close, but your enemies ....
11. Don't try to calm down, get excited! pg. 216
Especially when you're nervous. I've used this countless times since reading the book.
12. Don't go at it alone, find at least one person to come alongside. pg. 225
If one falls down who can help  him up?

So if you want to be a middle manager, go get that other book, but if you want to put down the sugar water and change (move) the world with me, read Adam Grant's Originals. Hopefully you'll find it as inspiring as I did.

Sincerely,
Rob Barrett, Jr.
Third Street Music
Cooking for Dads
Copper by Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment